Archive for November, 2008

Problems with opengl drivers on AMD/ATi

Monday, November 24th, 2008

So I decided to check the first version of the Plane Game on some different machines. I know it works on Windows/Linux on my main PC and on my laptop. However since the laptop hard drive died I’ve not run it on there. Also I’ve a second computer here, running an ATi gfx card at the moment so I though I’d try it on there.

It wouldn’t run on the ATi 2600 PRO card at all. I figured out the problem was that there were openGL extensions missing – specifically the ones to let me load and bind shaders. The shaders don’t do anything fancy and I’d only implemented that to check I could load shaders on OpenGL. Anyway after much digging I discovered that GLView reports that my card only supported open GL version 1.1. Which is odd as it’s a DX10 class card and should do GL 2 easily. I finally figured out the problem, GLView also listed the OpenGL driver as being nvoglnt driver which after a little help from Google I discovered was the Nvidia OpenGL driver. So I went to add and remove programs from the control panel and discovered I’d got 2 different versions of the Nvidia drivers installed (one ASUS branded and one generic NVidia forceware). When swapping 3D cards around doing compatibility testing I’d forgotten to remove them. Although it didn’t stop D3D from working it had messed up GL. I removed these and the ATi drivers for good measure, rebooted and installed the latest ATi drivers and now all is good… OpenGL drivers for 2.1 – phew!

Absence

Monday, November 24th, 2008

OK, so I’ve been missing for 3+ months, sorry for the lack of posts.  I suspect there’s almost no-one reading this anyhow.  So far I’ve had 1500+ comments and only one I’ve found that I don’t think is spam – and it’s not on topic either.  As a result I’ve closed posting comments to only registered users.

So what have I been doing?  Well, I played around with the phone game and decided to auto generate a landscape/wilderness to play over.  I got basic terrain generation working using a Perlin noise method (fixed for only using integar maths).

Then I got sidetracked and ported a simple OpenGL game engine and game I have from linux/cygwin to windows native builds using visual studio.  That took a while of fighting the different compilers.  Then I took some time off programming and played some Neverwinter Nights seeing as I’d never finished it the first time around.  That’ll have to wait as I’ve not finished it still!

Then my wife had her semester break so I took some time off to hang out with her – we went and climbed an active volcanoe, swam in the hot and cold springs, did some horse riding in a Del Monte pineapple plantation (pineapples as far as the eye can see) as well as just some general hanging out at the beach.  So I had a really nice month of holiday!

Sadly after this my laptop hard drive started to make horrible clank-grrrr-clank noises and unsurprisingly wouldn’t boot let alone allow me to read anything off it.  I lost the source code to some test applications for my game library (newly ported to windows) and a whole bunch of other things.

More recently I spent a while checking out the iPhone SDK – I think I’m going to be doing some iPhone development as it’s a nice platform, ideal in many ways for gaming.  Also I’ve got an iPod touch so can play and test the games on there.

Lastly I decided to add hardware vertex buffer support to my GL engine (instead of just doing vertex arrays which are held in system memory rather than graphics memory).  To this end I decided to implement a COLLADA importer to get data in.  The reason for this is simple – I should be able to export COLLADA from most 3D artwork apps such as Max, Maya and the open source Blender.

Today I’ve taken the brave step of publishing (however quietly) my first executable version of the game.  Check out this page for more information on the game. It really is only in it’s elemental stages right now though.